Quiz: What Hair Color is Best for Me?
Hair color is tricky.
Finding the right hair color, one that makes you feel beautiful and ready to take on the world, is even trickier.
Why Color Your Hair?
Have you asked yourself recently: what is the best hair color for me? Sure you have!
Well take our short quiz from Brilliance New York's celebrity hair stylists- trend setters in hair care and hair color and find out if it’s time for a game changer color change or if you should color your hair with a more subtly look. When coloring your hair it is always important to use a color treatment to manage and enhance it's health and natural style. Additionally, it is critical to treat your hair as it can become more fragile and more exposed to heat damage after using hair tools.
If you are still using your straightener from the grocery store, think again! It’s time for a change! Straightener technology now offers better protection for your hair when styling it which in fact helps protect you hair color.
USE COUPON CODE: COLORME30 AND GET 30% OFF + 2 DAY SHIPPING ON ALL COLOR HAIR CARE
There are lots of great reasons to color your hair, and they all have to do with self-confidence.
Coloring your hair can be a fun way to get a whole new look – without a drastic haircut.
For instance, if you’ve had light hair all your life, going darker can be a fun experiment. Or, if you’ve always dreamed of being a redhead, taking the plunge can be a game-changer.
Of course, coloring your hair doesn’t have to be drastic. It can also be a subtle way to make your hair look more vibrant, healthier, and shinier.
For instance, if your brown hair is looking mousy or lackluster, you can warm up the tone and inject some life into it. Your hair will still be brown, but it will just look better.
How Do You Answer the Question “What Hair Color is Best for Me?”
There seems to be a rainbow of hair colors out there. With so much choice, how do you choose the shade that’s best for you?
Should you take your skin tone and eye color into consideration, or should you base your decision on your undertones (like if you’re a “cool,” a “warm,” or a “neutral”)?
We all know what hair color mishaps look like – when you get it wrong, it’s incredibly noticeable and clashes with your entire look.
How do you make sure you get it right, so you love your hair?
Take our hair color quiz and answer once and for all the biggest question on your mind: “What hair color is best for me?”
Take the Hair Color Quiz and Discover Your Best Mane
1. What color was your hair as a little kid?
- Dirty blonde or dishwater blonde (2 or 3)
- Strawberry blonde or red (1 or 3)
- Very light blonde (2 or 3)
- Light to medium brown (1 or 3)
- Medium brown to dark brown (1, 2, or 3)
- Deep, dramatic black (1, 2, or 3)
2. What’s your skin tone?
- Very, very fair – I look like a ghost and burn in the sun. (2)
- Light, but not porcelain – I can tan, but it’s not easy to do. (2 or 3)
- Medium, tan, or olive – I tan pretty easily, but I can get burned once in awhile. (1 or 3)
- Medium to deep brown – I never worry about sunburn. (1)
- Very dark or black. (2 or 3)
3. Look at the underside of your arm. What color are your veins
- Blue and/or purple (2)
- Green (1)
- A mix of blue and green (3)
- I can’t tell (3)
4. What color are your eyes?
- Light or golden brown (1)
- Dark brown, almost black (2 or 3)
- Blue, or blue-gray (2)
- Hazel (1, 2 or 3)
- Green (1 or 2)
5. What are your #hairgoals?
- I want to go blonde, like a mysterious femme fatale in a spy film. (2)
- I want to go darker – think chocolate brown or deep chestnut. (1 or 2)
- I want to go lighter – like I just got back from a sun-kissed, tropical vacation. (1)
- I want to brighten and enliven my natural color. (1)
- I just want to stand out! (3)
6. Which colors make you look and feel like a million bucks when you wear them?
- Pinks, reds, and warm tones – just call me “Valentine.” (1 or 3)
- I feel like a goddess of the sea in cool tones like deep turquoise, cobalt, indigo, emerald green, and royal purple. (2 or 3)
- I look good in bold but muted colors, like burgundy, saffron, deep olive green, warm yellow, and burnt orange. (1 or 3)
- Pastels make me feel pretty, like lavender, pale blue, mint green, and buttercup yellow. (2 or 3)
7. Imagine yourself as a location. Which one suits your look best?
- A winter forest – There’s a strong contrast between my skin tone, hair color, and eye color, or I have very dark skin and dark eyes. (2)
- A sunny beach – I have blue, blue-gray, or green eyes and light to medium hair with cool tones. (2 or 3)
- An autumn landscape – I have warm-toned hair that’s medium to dark, brown or green eyes, and a light to medium skin tone. (1)
- A field of delicate flowers – I have light to medium hair with gold or red tones in it, and soft eyes that are blue or green. (1)
8. What color jewelry looks best on you?
- Silver (2)
- Gold (1)
- Both look good! (3)
Warm It Up (1)
You have warm undertones, which means you’re a spring or an autumn. You look beautiful in warm colors and gold jewelry. Rich, warm, golden colors will look fabulous with your hair.
If you have light hair, try golden blonde, honey blonde, light caramel, copper, or strawberry blonde. If your hair is dark, add some dimension with warm brown tones like mahogany or chestnut, or go with golden or caramel highlights.
Hair colors you should avoid include ashy shades, reds with blue or purple undertones, or icy shades of blonde or deep brown.
Keep It Cool (2)
You have cool undertones, which means you look amazing in blues and greens. As far as coloring, you’re either a summer or a winter.
As a general rule, avoid golden or red shades with warm undertones in your hair. They’ll clash with your skin, hair, and eyes.
Instead, if you have light hair, you’ll look best in platinum, icy blonde shades, or champagne hues as well as light, cool brown shades. Dark-haired ladies should also go with cool-toned browns like espresso or cocoa, or stick with jet black.
The best red shades for women with cool undertones include reds with a bluish tint or purple undertones, like Bordeaux and plum. Just say no to copper shades, mahogany, or reds with golden tints in it.
Hi HAIR LOVER...
GET 50% OFF ON THE WORLD'S NEWEST COLOR SAFE HAIR TOOLS+FREE 2 DAY SHIPPING USE CODE: BFCM50
Go Crazy! (3)
Lucky you -- you have neutral undertones, which means you’re neither cool nor warm. You’re smack in the middle, which means you’ll look good in most hair colors.
This means you can wear cool or warm tones.
Try auburn, copper, or deep reddish-brown if you’ve never done red before. Or, if you have dirty blonde hair, try going lighter to brighten up your face.
If you’re a dark-haired beauty, you can always change up the tone. Try a rich chestnut or deep mahogany for hair that’s beautifully dimensional.
Medium-brown hair looks beautiful if you add caramel highlights, or change the overall tone – try a reddish tone to make your hair stand out in a crowd.
If you’re a risk-taker, why not try a creative color? Pink is huge right now, as is mermaid hair (blue-green streaks)!